I have been interested in the raw food movement to some extent for years. I am not a raw foodie but I do realize the importance of having a healthy supply of raw foods in the diet for maximum nutrition. I align more with the paleo food movement and this too promotes maximum nutrient density (raw or no) and also eating what we as humans are meant to eat. Paleo in my opinion is like the the factory settings diet for the body…our optimal diet, the diet we are meant to eat.
It only goes to follow that I would also become interested in feeding my animals the food they were meant to eat as well. This omnivorous human is meant to eat fruit, nuts, seeds, veggies, greens, and meat/seafood for the live enzymes, vitamins, minerals and nutritive value. I am not meant to eat the products of huge agribusiness…wheat, corn, and soy everything basically. Dogs are also not meant to eat that kind of diet. Dogs crave raw meat, much like they once ate in wild. Conventional dog food is far removed from the diet they once ate.
Last year I ended up taking on a rescue dog who needed to be rehomed. Our plan was/is to start giving her the raw remains of our homestead animals but we have just started to dabble in that arena and have not had any to butcher yet. I am thrilled though to find an alternative that will slowly introduce raw foods into her diet and provide us with a supplemental feeding option for when we don’t have raw animal parts to feed her.
Enter Stella and Chewy’s. Their meal mixers product is meant to complement a dog’s existing diet.
So what are the benefits of adding raw foods into a dog’s diet? These are just some of them:
- Better Dental Health – commercial diets rot their teeth and cause gum disease.
- Better Digestion – Eating foods they are meant to eat means better digestion and better access to the nutrients in the food.
- Vitality – You know we get groggy and tired when we eats lots of carbs and sugar… yeah dogs get the same way. Raw food will increase their vitality and quality of life.
- Improved Skin and Coat – When you eat better, you look better. It is the same for dogs, and it really shows with a glossy fur coat and no more skin issues. No need for medicated shampoos!
- Stronger Immune System – When their body is running on optimal fuel they are far less likely to get become sick or diseased.
- A Lean Physique – Carbs make us fat and they can make dogs fat too.
Stella & Chewy’s offers freeze-dried options (including Meal Mixers) to get you started on raw dog foods. Their products helps owners give their pet’s nutrition that mirrors their ancestral diet. You take one scoop of the meal mixers and mix it with your dog’s current food. This allows them to slowly get used to a raw diet and not upset their GI tract with a sudden diet change.
Meal Mixers includes premium ingredients:
- Packed with 95% nutrient-rich meat, organs and bone
- Complemented by organic fruits and vegetables and added probiotics & antioxidants
- No grains, glutens, fillers, artificial preservatives or colorings, or added hormones or antibiotics
- Available in 4 protein options (Stella’s Super Beef, Chewy’s Chicken, Tantalizing Turkey, and Savory Salmon & Cod)
An independent taste test study conducted at leading university (University Wisconsin-Madison) showed that 9 out of 10 dogs prefer their kibble with MM. Third party independent lab analysis is conducted on each batch of food before it leaves their Wisconsin-based manufacturing facility. The results for every batch is posted on the S&C website for consumers to see. This is refreshing given how many recalls we have seen of pet food in years past!
The best part is that my Coco loves Stella and Chewy’s meal mixers!
This post has been sponsored by Stella & Chewy’s. All opinions are my own.