Think the side of the bed you sleep on is irrelevant? Think again! It could reveal more about your personality than you first imagined. A 2015 study undertaken by Sealy, a manufacturing firm, looked at the sleeping habits of 1,000 people for insights into how they affect our mood, careers, and life outlook.
The results might surprise you.
The 2015 study results
It was concluded that those who sleep on the right side of the bed were:
– 9% more likely to prefer being by themselves
– 7% more likely to wake up in a bad mood
– 5% more likely to be pessimistic
– 3% more likely to dislike their job
On the other hand, those who sleep on the left side of the bed were:
– 8% more likely to have friends and enjoy their work
– 4% more likely to wake up happy
– 9.5% more likely to have a positive outlook on life
Interestingly, the study also suggested that many people – 36% – prefer sleeping alone rather than next to their partner. In some cases this was because of a snoring other half. So, it’s important that you get the right mattress for couples that both, you and your partner can benefit from it.
These statistics resoundingly suggest that if you sleep on the left side of the bed, you chose your side well. But what makes couples favour the left or the right? How couples choose which side of the bed to sleep on
A study published in Evolutionary Psychology in 2010 found that people preferred sleeping within full view of their bedroom door and windows, although they also wanted the bed to be as far away from the door as possible, most likely because it made them feel more protected.
When it comes to couples, Paul C. Rosenblatt has stated in his book Two in a Bed: The Social System of Couple Bed Sharing that it’s almost ubiquitous for couples to sleep on the same respective side of the bed every single night. From the interviews he conducted with couples, he managed to identify 8 primary reasons for the right or left preference.
1. Old habits – you developed the preference before you met your partner
2. Claustrophobia – you prefer whatever side is away from the wall
3. Bathroom breaks – this one’s all about convenience!
4. Protectiveness – straight men will often sleep closest to the door to be
protective of their partner
5. Early birds – the person who gets up earliest sleeps away from the wall
6. Parenting – whoever is on child duty sleeps on the outside
7. Pain – you choose the side which is the least painful on the body
8. Temperature – you prefer whichever side is warmer/cooler
What if couples disagree?
Research done by Premier Inn of 2,000 adults has provided some even more interesting data:
● A huge 80% of people have slept on the same side since the start of their relationship
● 22% said they slept on a different side with their ex-partner
● 1 in 20 men were not happy with the side they slept on
● More than 1 in 10 couples argue about which side to sleep on, and women usually win (reasons for arguing including not wanting to sleep next to the radiator)
Claire Haigh from Premier Inn offered some further insights, stating: “Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to their sleeping styles but which side of the bed people sleep on seems to be fundamental to getting a good night’s sleep.
“Interestingly, our research revealed an almost identical split between Brits’ preference to a particular side, with 51% favouring the left and 49% the right, with the vast majority of people maintaining their particular preference for many years.”
Other reasons for choosing a certain side of the bed included noise from the road, crying babies, floor space, comfort, having a better view of the television, and being close to personal belongings.
Which side do you prefer and why? Or are you only interested in sleeping and don’t mind at all where in the bed you do it? We want to know!
About Happy Beds
Happy Beds is the UK’s fastest-growing bed store. They give the best prices on contemporary bed frames and super-comfortable quality mattresses – ensuring you enjoy the night’s sleep you’ve always dreamed of. To find the bed for you, take a look at their website.