I couldn’t decide what to write about for blog action day since so many of my daily posts are about the environment. Then I thought maybe I could view it as a real “action” day and evaluate what I am doing to further environmental causes and what I could be doing still. So today I am going to make a few resolutions for evironmental action.
For me this is a bit different then the every day lifestyle choices I make or the products I buy. I am talking specifically about being an activist…what can I be doing more of in that respect? And since this blog deals with addressing these issues as a family…how can I get everyone involved?
Things I resolve to do this year for Blog Action Day:
* Volunteer my family to assist with an Earth Day event in my community
* Go to at least one Columbus Green Drinks event every quarter and network with my fellow activists and get more involved in my community
* Attend at least two community clean-ups with my kids
* If possible I would like to attend at least one peaceful protest with kids as well.
* Every other month (weather appropriate) take the kids to volunteer for farm chores at the Stratford Ecological Center farm
* Sponsor a needy family and give them organic/local produce from our garden next year
* Attend at least two action events sponsored by my local Sierra Club chapter
* Help my fellow Ohioans keep up to date on environmental issues that impact us…I have already gotten a head start here.
* Be the change I seek
Oh… and one product/choice change….be either driving or well on my way to driving… a bio fuel car this time next year.
I plan on updating this blog along the way and of course sharing my success next year on this day. My feet are to the fire. It seems kind of fitting that I ran across this wonderful Greenpeace video today too:
So what about you…leave me a comment and name at least one way you plan to step up your environmental activism in the next year.
And do not forget to sign Mr. Linky (below) if you are participating in Blog Action Day…I would love to read your post!
Since local money goes twice as far I am donating all blog earnings today to The Statford Ecological Center.