Three of my absolute favorite things are on sale at Zulily currently. I jumped all over these deals myself so I had to share…
Popsicle Molds: We go through lots of popsicles in the summer and to keep costs down, as well as avoid the needless wrapper and stick waste (which always end up on the lawn) we make our own at home. I also like having control over the sugar content and the use of artificial dyes. No need to ensure hyperactivity!
Anyway we have several different molds to keep things interesting… rockets, ice cream cones, stars, etc. Some of our faves are on Zulily today for rock bottom prices.
Straws: There are also some stainless steels straws on sale. We have the angled ones and love them. I prefer my kids use these over glass because they have broken my glass straws before. They are reusable and perfect for kiddos.
Hand Towels: Lastly I saw spotted PeopleTowels on Zulily!!! They are small hand towels that I absolutely adore and I was actually looking to buy some on Amazon recently but the price was a bit hefty for three small towels. With this deal I got 7 for the price of 3. I use these primarily to cover my gallon size Kombucha jars.
It’s that time of year when moms start to worry about making sure their precious littles are sufficiently protected from the bugs of summer. If your kids are anything like mine they don’t want to play outside in the heat of the day, when the bugs are few and far between, and who could blame them?
When the sun starts to fade and the temperature dips though they get a second wind and they hit the door running. Unfortunately the bugs (ie mosquitoes) have the same idea. My kids have already come inside with fresh bugs bites only to spend the remainder of the evening itching up a storm. During the summer months lots of families can be found several evenings a week attending some sort of outdoor event so bugs become a problem.
First we need to set up a good offense and send everyone outside with some protection…a bug barrier. A super easy and natural way to repel bugs is to make an essential oil spray. Just put some clove, basil, juniper, pine, or cedar oils inside a carrier oil like Jojoba or grain alcohol and spray as needed. Even easier and cheaper than that is to use garlic juice and water and spray as needed. You can also buy a more natural product if you don’t want a DIY product. We like and use the Badger Anti-Bug Twist-Up Stick. You put it on lightly or thick and it smells really nice without being at all greasy. No harmful DEET!
You can also get proactive by planting strategically around your house with plants that the bugs don’t like. Rosemary, basil, catnip, and lemon balm are a few plants you can grow that have wonderful insect-repelling qualities
What do you do though when you or the kiddos get bit or stung by ants, bees, mosquitoes and other buggy creatures despite your best efforts? Here are some…
Natural Ways to Soothe and Heal Bug Bites and Stings
Aloe Vera – Cut a small section of your plant (seriously every family needs to have at least one Aloe Vera plant in their home) and rub on, allowing the juices to dry and soothe.
Apple Cider Vinegar – Apply a few drops of ACV directly and allow to dry. Repeat as needed. You can also add a couple cups to your bath water for a soak.
Dry Soap – Rub dry bar soap on the wound to help with itch. I like Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint.
Onion – Take a thin slice of onion and apply directly to the bite/sting. Great for bee stings!
Baking Soda Paste – Mix some baking soda with water to form a paste and apply as needed to soothe and help with itchiness.
Toothpaste – Rub on a bit of a natural toothpaste brand and allow to dry. I haven’t tried it yet but I think Earthpaste Peppermint would work really well for this since it has natural clay in it and peppermint is soothing and cooling.
Lavender Oil – A few drops applied directly to the wound.
Local Raw Honey – This is soothing and it has antimicrobial properties which is awesome for when dirty little fingernails are scratching and digging, thus opening the door for infection. Apply directly to the bite.
Banana Peel – Rub the inside of a banana peel on the wound. Very effective but usually needs to be repeated hourly.
Tea Bags – After brewing up a batch of tea use the bag to soothe any bug bites.
Crushed/Chewed Leaves – Crush up or chew up some basil or plantain leaves until they are soggy. Apply directly to the bite/sting.
Lemon/Lime Slices – Apply directly.
Do you have a natural bug bite remedy that works well for you?
The other day I was searching for a few children’s gift ideas and card ideas for Valentine’s Day that did not feel cheap and junky. It seems to me that most gift ideas nowadays are plastic and cheap looking but I wanted some ideas with a “classic” or “vintage” feel…throwbacks to simpler days when gifts were made to last and be treasured. I also wanted something candy free and I think I managed to find a few treasures that fit the bill. These were some of the gift ideas I bookmarked:
1. Felt Heart Boxes – These felt boxes are shaped like hearts and can hold small treasures. I also love the vintage, homemade feel of them. They look like something my grandmother would have owned.
2. OM Heart Figurines – How adorable are these?? Each of these little hand-molded clay statues has a name and a story, and stands as a totem for love.
3. Vintage Valentine’s Day Cards – These beautiful cards are works of art and they are 3D with moving parts so truly unique. I just adore the elephant one.
4. Felt Heart Pouches – Your kiddos can use these for pencils, money, or virtually any kind of treasure. The pouches are handmade of Nepalese wool felt with a heart motif and a zipper pull. Fair trade.
5. Alice in Wonderland Tea Set – If your little one loves tea parties then he or she will love this tea set inspired by the classic children’s book.
6. Heart Shaped Nesting Boxes – Each box has a special message! Place small treats and treasures in these lovely heart boxes with nostalgic vintage-style images and ribbon edging.
7. Gypsy Caravan – A lovely gift for either a boy or a girl this set is whimsical and cute. Ithas a richly printed cover and a small hitch on back to attach a wagon train. The wagon is pulled by a solid wood horse and driven by a solid wood gypsy/pioneer/outlaw.
8. Heat Sailboat – Love this!! Give your little sweethearts a sweet sailboat. This little boat is sturdy enough for a small child and can be used in the tub, or any body of water. A safe and non-toxic alternative to plastic bath toys, and for outings to the puddle filled park.
9. Vintage Hair Clips – These are fun and practical with a vintage feel for your classy little lady. They are hand-crafted from vintage Japanese silk kimonos and are shaped as “ume” or Japanese plum blossoms. Plum blossoms are a favorite motif in Japan representing early springtime. Each hair clip is one-of-a-kind.
I have shared my Zulily love numerous times before and I have also blogged about The Honest Company in the past too. The first company gives me access to lots of eco friendly goods for reduced prices and the latter is all about taking conventionally toxic products and making them non-toxic and healthier for families. Well, these two companies are teaming up to bring even more great deals to our doorsteps.
Zulily is a storefront that takes products we already buy…from lunchboxes and kitchen gadgets to shoes and furniture and makes them available for short periods of time at hugely reduced prices. I am a huge fan and shop there all the time. I have bought cast iron pans, stainless water bottles, bamboo kitchen accessories, gym clothes, and wooden toys and puzzles for my kiddos. I am constantly amazed at all their eco friendly offerings.
The Honest Company appeals to moms who want healthier home products and products for their babies. Moms really are stepping up to the task of making their home cleaning products and care products healthier and safer and I give mad props to Jessica Alba for using her superstar to form this company and do such good work. In my diapering days I used cloth but there were times when even I used disposables from time to time. I would have loved the Honest Company diapers. They are so incredibly cute!!
The first of its kind to open on zulily, The Honest Company shop will remain on the site for members to access Honest’s non-toxic, high-performing household products with a splash of style, every day. Honest products are ready to ship in 1-2 days and include:
• Premium Plant-Based Disposable Diapers in various patterns including Anchors, Dinosaurs, Family Tree, Hearts, Leopard, Lumberjack, and Skulls.
• Biodegradable Cloth Wipes
• Premium Plant-Based Disposable Training Pants in various patterns including Night Sky, Princess and Robots.
Are the Black Friday deals starting early??? I don’t know but this is an awesome price for the Lorax DVD…only $3.99. If I didn’t already have it I would be buying it for my kiddos and for myself since I happen to know this cuddly creature IRL. Oh yes, we are pals. :)
Hope this helps you get a great deal on an eco themed movie the whole family will love.
Purchase at Amazon.com
Photo: Me and bloggy friend Stephanie Moram of Good Girl Gone Green (photo credit). Taken in New York City.