Avocados are one of those amazingly healthy foods that even kids will eat and they seem to be nice and ripe in stores right now. Usually they are from Mexico but still on our continent at least. They have nearly 20 different vitamins and minerals, they are a source of healthy fats, and they are creamy so they can be fed to babies and toddlers as well.
Some ways to serve Avocados:
* For guacamole and chips of course!
* As dip for veggies
* Blend them up with cacao to make chocolate pudding
* As filling for raw key lime pie
* Slip some slices into sandwiches
* Puree and add to hot cereal
* Combine with tuna for a sandwich filler
* Spread on toast or a bagel
* Add strips or chunks to salads
You can tell when they are ripe by their dark green, pebbly skin and they will stay good in a fridge for 3-5 days. If you only need to use half of the avocado just squeeze some lemon juice on the remaining half to keep it from going brown. You can also use an avocado saver.
To make the job of scooping out the filling and slicing easier I recommend an avocado slicer. I find mine to be a bit hard to clean but if you have a dishwasher (I don’t) that may not be such a big deal. Enjoy!