Healthy eating is such a subjective thing. Or is it? Everyone has their own ideas of what is healthy. Many swear by tofu and I think it is a bad idea. Others think that fat is the devil and I think no such thing. Can we ever agree? Well, I do happen to agree for the most part with Real Simple magazine’s list of 30 healthiest foods… not that they are the healthiest per say but it is a pretty good list of healthy foods. I thought it would be fun to go through their list and see how regularly my family is eating these foods.
1. Mushrooms – Eating these weekly. This week it was baby portabellas and oyster mushrooms.
2. Walnuts – Monthly at best. My kids eat them more than I do.
3. Peanut and Almond Butters – No peanut butter but we do have almond butter and sunflower seed butter. My kids eat some daily usually. I may have a spoonful once a week.
4. Quinoa – Used to eat this weekly but since going grain free I have eliminated it. I really miss it though!!!
5. Almonds – We used to make homemade almond milk several times a week but have fallen away from that now that we have local, fresh cow’s milk available to us. But we do have the almond butter.
6. Blueberries – Weekly. I put a small bit in our green smoothies and my 5 year old eats frozen blueberries like M&M’s. I had to go out this morning to buy some in fact, because I knew he would request them first thing. In the summer we will have fresh blueberry compote for breakfast a couple times a week.
7. Eggs – We eat about 2 dozen a week from our local farm delivery service. They are pastured eggs with deep orange yolks… yum!
8. Spinach – Weekly. I put at least a cup of spinach in our smoothies.
9. Wild Salmon – Yes, once a week usually.
10. Chicken Breast – Sometimes. Good on salads but I usually eat wings or drumsticks when I eat chicken, with the skin on.
11. Avocado – Not very often and in the summer only. My kids don’t like avocados much unless I mix it with cacao and make chocolate pudding. I want to eat more though.
12. Sweet Potatoes – Only in winter but we do have them a couple times a month during that time.
13. Barley – No
14. Whole Grain Pasta – No.
15. Oatmeal – No.
16. Skim Milk – Nope. I usually buy 2% or full fat. Unless it is in kefir or yogurt the kids are the only ones who drink it. Skim milk should not be on this list either.
17. Lentils – No, don’t like them much either.
18. Bulgar – Nope.
19. Sardines – On occasion.
20. Kiwi – A couple times a year maybe.
21. Olive Oil – Sometimes. We usually use coconut oil.
22. Kale – Weekly in smoothies. I alternate between kale, chard, collards, turnip greens, and wild greens.
23. Kidney Beans – No.
24. Chard – Weekly in smoothies.
25. Edaname – Nope.
26. Pumpkin – In the fall only.
27. Oranges – Weekly usually. The kids love them.
28. Non Fat Greek Yogurt – Yes to Greek yogurt, no to non-fat. I eat 2% or full fat Greek yogurt every single day, first thing in the morning. Once a week for my kids.
29. Broccoli – Weekly.
30. Black Beans – No.
I would add carrots, green beans, snow peas, more greens, blackberries, and coconut oil right off the top of my head.
How did you do? See anything you would remove from this? Or Add?
Thursday, April 21st, 2011